Guest Guru: Susan Huber of BusyBeeLifestyle.com
Create a Five Star Guest Room
With Thanksgiving and the winter holidays right around the corner, now is the time to plan for overnight guests! Whether you have one bedroom designated as a guest room or you bunk guests in one of your kid’s bedrooms, it’s important to create a welcoming space!
If you have a separate guest room, here are some tips to help make it welcoming:
• Make sure that the sheets and blankets are freshly laundered.
• Purchase towels (bath, hand and wash cloth) in a different color than your everyday towels so that your guests will know which one is theirs!
• Tie up each towel set with a pretty, coordinating ribbon and stack them along with extra pillows and blankets.
• Purge the closet of your own clutter and add lots of attractive hangers. (Fringe benefit: if your guest room closet and/or bureau are kept empty, you’ll have one less dumping ground in your home!)
• Consider purchasing hotel style terry robes and hang these in the closet! It might be fun to personalize these robes with “His,” “Hers” or just “Guest!”
• Fill a basket with mini toiletries from hotel stays.
• Add a clock/CD player for quiet music and a wake up call.
• Set out a few fun magazines and good books, and make sure there is adequate light for reading.
• Provide a written schedule of events, both in your home and your local area, taking place during the visit. Include emergency phone numbers and your own cell phone number. Local brochures, maps, train/bus schedules might also be appreciated.
• Leave a spare house key somewhere accessible.
• Add finishing touches such as fresh flowers, a scented candle, a carafe for water, stationery with postage and a small dish of candy or mints.
When a child’s room or den serves double duty for guests, consider putting together a “guest room kit.” Use a large rattan basket to hold linens, towels, robes, toiletries and the additional items listed above. Keep this basket stocked at all times and dedicate the contents for guest use only! This way, your lucky guests won’t end up sleeping on those Disney sheets!
Undertake a guest room makeover today and be ready for visitors tomorrow! Your guests will love feeling pampered and comfortable during their stay!
Be sure to check outwww.busybeelifestyle.com.